Reliable heating certainly makes your home a more comfortable place to be in the winter. It can help you sleep well, prevent your family members from falling ill, and even ensure that your home’s vital systems, such as your plumbing, remain in good condition. However, your heater can’t be expected to function perfectly at all times. It can have issues just like any other system, but that just means you’ll need to call for heater repair from time to time. Here are some signs to look out for that let you know when you need heater repair:
- Cold Spots- The whole point of having a heater is to keep your house warm, so if you notice that your home has cold spots, that may mean you need heater repair.
- Weird Sounds- Most heating systems make some noise even when they’re operating properly, but if you hear abnormally loud banging, clanking, or scraping noises, you should call in a heating professional to check it out.
- Foul Odors- Your heater shouldn’t be emitting odors. If you notice that your house smells strange while the heater is on, there may be excess humidity causing mold growth or other problems in your heater.
- High Heating Bills- If your heating bill is extremely high for no obvious reason, this may mean that your heater isn’t functioning efficiently, and you need heater repair to resolve it.
- Unusual Pilot Light Colors- If you have a gas furnace, your pilot light should be burning blue. If it’s any other color, such as orange, you need to call a heating professional to fix it immediately because it could be a sign of carbon monoxide in your home.